The Metlund® D'MAND® SYSTEMS (S-70 and S-02) are the only pumps on the market approved for use with tankless water heaters. Smaller pumps available from other manufacturers do not have enough volume or pressure capability to activate most tankless water heaters.
Why use it?
- Saves energy and water: The loss of water while waiting could be 3 to 7 gallons. Since most homeowners do not stand and wait for hot water to arrive, another 1 to 3 gallons may be lost before they notice hot water has arrived.
- Easily installed in new or existing homes.
- Will work with any water heating system.
- Installed within two hours or less on any existing or new home. Does not require major plumbing.
- Return on investment: Will have a payback of one to three years.
- Extends water heater life.
- Reduces sewage and air pollution.
How much water is saved?
Water savings for a household of four occupants varies from about 900 gallons to about 3000 gallons per point of use, per year (DOE study). Point of use is a single location at a home, for example a faucet where hot water is available. The water savings in a home with four points of use, on the average, would be 3,600 to 12,000 gallons per year.
If a home saved only 20 gallons of water each day (7,300 gallons per year) then in one year the impacts would be:
- $151 Saved (including natural gas for water heating, water, and sewer - @ $1 per therm) or
- $175 Saved (including propane for water heating, water, and sewer - @ $1 per gallon) or
- $242 Saved (including electricity for water heating, water, and sewer - @ $0.1 per kWh)
Selecting the right pump:
- The S-50 models are designed for smaller homes where the distance is less than 50 feet from the water heater. NOT recommended for tankless hot water heaters. Typical wait for hot water before installing pump: less than 1 minute.
- The S-70T models are designed to effectively deliver hot water rapidly up to 100 feet from the water heater. They are designed for most residential homes. Typical wait for hot water before installing pump: 1 to 3 minutes.
- The S-02 models will accommodate larger homes and commercial applications where distance from the water heater and larger diameter piping are factors. Typical wait for hot water before installing pump: 3 or more minutes.
Images courtesy of ACT Metlund.
- All Metlund Pumps
- All Laing Pump Products
As always, if you would like to ask more questions about this or other technical topics give us a call at 877-711-4822 - 9-5 PST. Live people for technical and sales support - an Internet first!